We welcome new members from all outdoor backgrounds
About Us

GROUP ACCOMMODATION

Yorkshire Dales

Up to 32 bunks available

Read More

TRY CAVING

Regular Try Caving Events

Try for the first time or making a return?

Read More

× This is the area for all the YSS trip reports only please

Sell Gill 13th December 2020

• stuartw
  • stuartw's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
27 Jan 2021 15:32 #20249 by stuartw
Sell Gill 13th December 2020 was created by stuartw
Sell Gill 13th December 2020
Well it rained incessantly after our Notts trip of the previous day so the old favorite of Sell Gill was chosen for our Sunday trip.
As Rich was rigging the entrance pitch and I was sheltering in a rocky hollow I was aproached by a trio of young(ish) lady hikers who had already summitted Penyghent having left before daybreak (and we thought we were a bit mad, out that early on a damp  December morn) they were drenched but full of enthusiasm and keen to hear what we were up to, a few pictures later (which aparently were going on their Insta) they were off into the mist, when lock down is over we may well have some keen try cavers.
We 3 had a steady trip down to the bottom of the cave and even into the crawly bits a short way, the water levels going down the water fall were not as high as we expected considering the rain overnight - debris levels suggest it had recently been quite high, the run through must be pretty quick.
As we plodded back to the cars the heavens opened and after a grim change was time to head home, and did it rain then! Glad to have been in a warm dry vehicle heading home for a cuppa.
Looking back I'm glad we squeezed in these trips, the chamber in Sell Gill is always bigger than I seem to remember and is an impressive cave when there are not many other options.

Stu, Rich and a vanlife interloper.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
05 Feb 2021 12:07 #20264 by jfinch
Replied by jfinch on topic Sell Gill 13th December 2020
I hope you got the young ladies contact details  - oooeerr missus

• stuartw
  • stuartw's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
09 Feb 2021 15:23 #20269 by stuartw
Replied by stuartw on topic Sell Gill 13th December 2020
Not exactly, but they are on Instagram - so I need the assistance of an overgrown teenager who has such connectivity with the modern world and can message them on behalf of the club. Send me a private message if you wish to take up the contact.
There is apparently a pic of me on their Insta!
We Did offer to take them caving when we are allowed as long as the Hawkster comes along too.