Remember me
This is the area for all the YSS trip reports only please

Topic

I don't believe in fairies anymore! 05 Jun 2017 16:16 #17797

• bradburyj's Avatar Topic Author
  • bradburyj
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Saturday 3 June. Five of us squeezed into our car at the ridiculously early time of 8.00 am and set off for Weardale and Fairy Holes Cave. After an uneventful but beautiful journey across the Dales, we arrived at the authorised parking place for the cave. Out of the car we piled and, after scattering our belongings across the road, we started to change into caving gear. We were still in various states of undress, when a man, presumably a quarry official, arrived and politely queried our presence. We showed him our permit and the cave key but he apparently had no record of our planned visit. Moreover, a shooting event was being set up in the quarry. Not being keen on being either shot (unlikely) or locked in the quarry (highly likely), we cut our losses and headed over to Nenthead to explore the old lead mines.

Sweltering in the hot sun, we first wandered up to Smallcleugh Mine where Mike and i thought we would be able to take the team to the Ballroom. No such luck but we did spend a happy couple of hours wandering around the maze of tunnels, turning back and trying other options at places where the roof or walls looked particularly unstable. Stuart's little white arrows, taken along for the Fairy Holes Cave trip as recommended on the permit, came in very useful. When we were finally tired of not finding the Ballroom, we were able to return quickly to the entrance and yet more sunshine.

Back down to the carpark and into the cool entrance of the Brewery Shaft. After admiring the size of the shaft itself we headed further in through a series of amazingly well-decorated passages and into Rampgill. So much to see, so far to walk. But time was running out on our callout with Paul Geddes so we turned around (reluctantly on my part) and headed out.

Team: Jane, Mike, Stuart, Martin, and Martin's real imaginary friend Rich
Time underground: about 4 hours
Time on the road : 4 hours
The following user(s) said Thank You: nsteel, iball

Please Log in to join the conversation.

I don't believe in fairies anymore! 05 Jun 2017 17:38 #17799

• clarkm
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
The following user(s) said Thank You: nsteel, alexw

I don't believe in fairies anymore! 17 Jul 2017 11:02 #17861

• Ales Hrabec
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
So does anybody understand from where this misunderstanding comes from? A permit is a permit :angry:

I don't believe in fairies anymore! 19 Jul 2017 08:48 #17862

• stuartw
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
The landowner has changed and a new procedure was drawn up, our permit had already been issued early in the year and fell between the gaps somehow. It should not happen again, the new procedures are now in place I believe - the new landowner is being taken into the cave this month on a trip, which is very positive.
At least we didn't get shot at................
The following user(s) said Thank You: iball

• Page:

About

There are many club organised caving weekends, with a mixture of easy and difficult caving.  Over the past few years we have given lots of people the opportunity to experience caving with our "Try Caving" events.  These are quite popular and quite a few people have subsequently joined the club. We have YSS members caving most weekends so it is easy for new cavers to tag onto the easier caving trips and find people to help with more training.

Old School House
Austwick Road
Helwith Bridge
North Yorkshire
BD24 0EH

Sorry, this website uses features that your browser doesn’t support. Upgrade to a newer version of Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge and you’ll be all set.

Color: "#89a2ae";