Remember me
This is the area for all the YSS trip reports only please

Topic

A Thursday SRT-free trip 04 May 2017 18:03 #17732

• bradburyj's Avatar Topic Author
  • bradburyj
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
A n enjoyable day spent popping in and out of caves near Chapel-le-Dale. First off we had an abortive squirm through the green and smelly mud at the entrance of Lower Sunset. Unfortunately, the squeezes a little way in defeated the two Ians so we all went into reverse and backed out into the sunshine. Next, Sunset to the pitch, Hardrawkin to the pitches, and then High Douk to the second exit. Finally, it was off to Great Douk for a particularly nice wander up the cave and out of the top. I just love the way everyone pops out of slightly different holes!

Jane Bradbury, Mike Clark, Ian Ball and Ian Vincent

Time: about 5 hours including sitting about in the sun and nattering between caves!
The following user(s) said Thank You: iball

Please Log in to join the conversation.

A Thursday SRT-free trip 05 May 2017 11:42 #17737

• iball
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I would like to point out that the squeeze over the boulder just inside the downstream entrance of Lower Sunset didn't defeat me, it was the simple passage which defeated me. I've been through smaller sections, but the thought of having to reverse from further into the cave was enough to shatter my fragile confidence and I had to ask Ian V to guide me back over the boulder and out before panic got the better of me.

Certainly spices up a trip to Sunset, well worth giving it a bash, I'll be back.

Last edit: Post by iball.

A Thursday SRT-free trip 21 May 2017 15:52 #17772

• clarkm
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
The following user(s) said Thank You: iball

• Page:

About

There are many club organised caving weekends, with a mixture of easy and difficult caving.  Over the past few years we have given lots of people the opportunity to experience caving with our "Try Caving" events.  These are quite popular and quite a few people have subsequently joined the club. We have YSS members caving most weekends so it is easy for new cavers to tag onto the easier caving trips and find people to help with more training.

Old School House
Austwick Road
Helwith Bridge
North Yorkshire
BD24 0EH

Sorry, this website uses features that your browser doesn’t support. Upgrade to a newer version of Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge and you’ll be all set.

Color: "#89a2ae";